Microsoft is on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence, and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. In doing so, we create life-changing innovations that impact billions of lives around the world. You can help us achieve our mission.
Position Description: Microsoft has an immediate opportunity for an attorney to join the North America Corporate External and Legal Affairs (CELA) team to provide legal support for Microsoft's industry-leading ecosystem of partners supporting commercial customers. The role will entail working closely with lawyers and business clients to support a variety of commercial transactions, strategies, business development opportunities as well as legal compliance initiatives.
The position may be based in Washington, DC; Chicago, Illinois; or Redmond, Washington. Other locations may also be considered.
Legal Advice and Counsel
· Act as the primary legal contact for assigned clients on a variety of legal, business and compliance initiatives intended to support the digital transformation of Microsoft's customers with and through partners;
· Work closely with members of Microsoft's commercial legal team based in our corporate headquarters and other subsidiary-based colleagues on partner-related efforts;
· Serve as an important contributor to clients and colleagues by providing actionable legal counsel on major partner transactions and negotiations grounded with in-depth understanding of the issues;
· Identifies and anticipates legal risks in the client’s business and develops practical solutions to mitigate future risk along with scaled guidance that captures repeatable issues;
· Manages day to day interactions with outside counsel or other service providers to address and resolve issues;
· Resolve project-specific issues by interacting with business clients, colleagues and outside counsel;
· Structures, drafts, and negotiates transactional documents, program launches and campaigns (e.g., standard agreements );
· Conducts, reviews, interprets and analyzes legal information; cultivates an understanding of legal principles within primary legal practice and a basic understanding of legal principles outside primary area;
· Identifies and engages appropriate stakeholders in CELA and business to escalate issues;
· Train internal business clients on legal, privacy, competition and other compliance issues that may arise in the provision of servicing our partner ecosystem.
· Actively participates in legal, work, or industry associations (e.g., presenting at meetings, conferences, hearings, consultations, assisting in planning or preparing presentations); contributes to external outreach initiatives and recruiting.
· Develops positive relationships with external legal professionals, customers, or partners in an effort to protect and advocate Microsoft's interests.
· Engages with legal and other business colleagues (e.g. business desk, finance, tax and trade, compliance) to identify and share best practices.
· Provides continuous feedback and contributes to the improvement of project operational efficiencies; provides recommendations to improve efficiencies within work groups and for the delivery of legal services to clients.
· Manages project work expenses according to budget and proposes efficiencies.
· Collaborates effectively within work group and across CELA functions on client issues.
· Organizes and simplifies issues and ideas in written and verbal communication.
· Juris Doctorate or equivalent higher degree in law with excellent academic credentials
· Active license to practice law in a jurisdiction and capable of meeting admission requirements in relevant jurisdiction
· 5+ years of experience as a practicing attorney
· Well-versed in offering general legal, commercial and strategic advice with particular familiarity with cloud, software licensing and/or services contracts
· Outstanding analytical ability, business acumen, legal drafting and negotiation skills regarding a broad variety of agreements
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and PowerPoint
Additional or preferred qualifications
· 3+ years experience as a transactional attorney in-house and/or at a law firm dealing with sophisticated technology agreements
· In-house counsel experience
· Experience in negotiating information technology agreements is highly desirable
· An awareness of and ability to apply principles of plain language and contract simplification
· Familiarity with relevant legal issues such as intellectual property, data protection privacy law, competition law and imminent legislation is highly desirable
· Experience in dealing with regulatory issues pertaining to software and cloud services in industries such as banking & financial services, healthcare, retail, manufacturing, etc.
Desired personal attributes
· Microsoft is a fast-paced business and is constantly evolving. This person will be adaptable and able to provide strong leadership, strategic vision, effective relationship building and thrive in a pressured environment.
· Possess a keen priority-based problem-solving approach focused on achieving results that benefits Microsoft's business as well as the business of Microsoft's customers and partners
· Ability to interpret, analyze and advise on the company’s legal position. This includes the ability to apply knowledge of the legal framework, diagnose key issues and develop strategies and plans.
· Ability to work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-dimensional projects in a fast-paced environment and across inter-departmental teams
· Ability to work well autonomously, balanced with willingness to contribute effectively in a team environment
· Sound and practical business judgment to balance risk with potential business impact
· Willingness to travel up to 25% of time.