The successful Shopper Insights Senior Manager will be the “voice of the shopper” for Carhartt. This role will partner with Carhartt’s business units and connected functions to drive new ways of thinking. This role is responsible for providing fact and insights-based solutions to drive growth. Using data insights, the Shopper Insights Senior Manager will provide wholesale, direct to consumer, and business to business partners with relevant and meaningful industry, category, brand, customer, and consumer trends.
This role will lead the sourcing, interpretation and application of shopper insights to drive in-market success, inform business decisions, and develop shopper marketing strategies and programs that promote category expansion and brand growth. Their research expertise is in qualitative and quantitative research studies as well as syndicated, with a focus on path-to-purchase, in-store observation and virtual shopping.
The candidate will ensure insights capabilities are leveraged to answer business questions in a holistic manner, incorporating the right information to address the need. The successful candidate will be able to connect the dots and synthesize across multiple content resources, including macro trends, consumer research findings, and syndicated data.
We are All Leaders at Carhartt
In our words and by our actions, we strive to emulate the hardworking example set forth by our founder, Hamilton Carhartt. We Lead Business by creating value, delivering on results, and making changes along the way. We Lead Self by being inclusive, recognizing that our differences make us stronger as we strive to build a better world, together, for all hardworking people. We Lead Others by communicating and clearly defining the path as we walk bravely into the future. Working at Carhartt, we are all given a seat at the table and the honor of continuing the legacy.
• Be an expert in understanding the end-to-end shopper decision process, develop a deep understanding of the shopper journey, and help bring our shoppers to life within the organization.
• Be a thought leadership partner for our wholesale and direct to consumer channels, uncovering actionable shopper/consumer truths that lead to effective programs that drive conversion across the path to purchase
• Leverage a combination of data sources (existing, syndicated, POS, and custom research), to identify channel and retailer-specific opportunities to grow increase Carhartt share.
• Partner with the Wholesale Strategy & Analytics team to champion category growth strategies for our retail partners based on shopper insights and trends by incorporating multiple data sources.
• Merge shopper and consumer information and data analytics to provide a more holistic view for our wholesale accounts.
• Leverage customer specific data to drive relevant and timely omnichannel business recommendations; understand how online purchase behaviors differ from those in-store and how to capitalize on and communicate about the differences.
• Possess a high degree of analytic skill and knowledge to synthesize data to tell stories that focus teams on opportunities for business improvement.
• Help develop and drive shopper marketing strategies in support of business plans
• Synthesize data related to distribution, retailer dynamics, and in-store experiences to influence shopper channel choices and loyalty outcomes
• Compelling storyteller, able to communicate data clearly in ways that make Carhartt’s hardworking shoppers come to life for our business units and partners
• Prepare “executive ready” project deliverables and manage communication with key stakeholders
Bachelor's Degree Required in Business
Master's Degree Preferred in Related Field or Marketing
Required Skills and Experience
• 7 years of relevant experience, including insights/research experience from a market research agency, consulting firm, CPG or apparel company, or with a syndicated shopper insights provider. 5 years of experience specifically in a shopper insights role is required.
• Demonstrated ability to combine shopper & marketplace trends with custom insights to produce actionable insights, leading to breakthrough strategies.
• Expert understanding of and proven ability to tell a clear and compelling story using Syndicated Data and analytics (NPD, IRI, Nielsen, etc.) in addition to other research tools. Prior experience with retailer shopper databases, a plus.
• Proven track record of experience with retailer influence, partnership, and relationship building and cross-functional collaboration
• Must be able to identify and prioritize key business issues and translate them into strategic learning plans with clear objectives and methodologies/tools to answer the specific business needs
• Ability to synthesize qualitative, quantitative, and syndicated data into insights
• Highly developed analytic skills and knowledge of how to apply methodologies appropriately for business needs
• Ability to uncover core issues and opportunities, engage others in problem solving and identifying solutions
• Strong working knowledge of e-commerce and in-store analytics, metrics, and user experience research
• Comfort with navigating ambiguity and with being constantly challenged/stretched
• Excellent communicator (both oral and written), with strong story-telling skills
• Proficiency working in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Apparel retail experience preferred
Hybrid location: Associate will work on-site regularly as needed for work activities.
Willing to work some weekends if necessary