The primary responsibility of the Sr. Data Engineer is to design and support the various database functions necessary to support the company. This role will be responsible for creating and improving upon existing database platforms, predominantly SQL Server and Talend MDM, and additional platforms such as NoSQL platforms and cloud-based data platforms as the company brings on newer technology.
We are All Leaders at Carhartt
In our words and by our actions, we strive to emulate the hardworking example set forth by our founder, Hamilton Carhartt. We Lead Business by creating value, delivering on results, and making changes along the way. We Lead Self by being dependable, because hardworking people count on us to have their back every day. We Lead Others by communicating and clearly defining the path as we walk bravely into the future. Working at Carhartt, we are all given a seat at the table and the honor of continuing the legacy.
• Design and improve new database platforms including maintaining and growing the existing systems to enhance and optimize performance and operations.
• Develop and generate logical and physical database designs, resulting data dictionaries and data flow diagrams, test plans, and risk assessments to ensure sound implementation.
• Research technological advancements to ensure that the database platforms are continuously improved, supported, and aligned with industry and company standards.
• Evaluate new data platforms to understand their potential and recommend future direction.
• Lead cross-functional teams driving the development of solutions in support of new business and new applications.
• Lead the planning, design, and implementation of new initiatives, working and collaborating with customers, vendors, and VARs to define requirements, manage projects, and communicate project status on the entire life-cycle of the project.
• Perform level-3 troubleshooting and diagnostics on all components within the various database platforms, including but not limited to SQL Server, SQL Server Integration Services, and Talend MDM.
• Create task and procedure documentation, as well as communicate timely status on all relevant project information to appropriate personnel via incident tracking and task tracking systems.
• Analyze problems and look for trends, always keeping management informed of problem areas.
Bachelor's Degree Required in Computer Science or Related Field
Equivalent work experience may be considered in lieu of degree
Required Skills and Experience
• Minimum of 6-8 years of professional experience in a related field (business intelligence, data warehousing, predictive analytics and planning system) including the following:
o Experience with MS SQL Server database platform
o Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
o Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
o Programming language experience with one or more of the following: C#, C++, Python, R
o Working with and developing Restful Web Services
o Big Data platforms and Data Lake environments such as Hadoop
o Developing and supporting cloud-based (PaaS) database platforms, preferably Microsoft Azure
o Security experience as it applies to compliance, protection of assets, and company security
• Preferred experience in the following:
o Developing Web Applications in a Microsoft .Net C# environment
o Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services and/or Microsoft Power BI
o Microsoft DAX query language
o Knowledge and experience of Data Science and Machine learning techniques
• Experience with Master Data Management and Product Information Management systems preferred
• Experience with database design both conceptual and physical
• Performance troubleshooting and resolution experience (index tuning, profiling, job scheduling), related software tools for monitoring and management
• Working knowledge and experience with OLTP and OLAP modelling, ACID properties, CAP theorem
• Strong troubleshooting and technical diagnostic skills with the ability to clearly isolate and define problems, taking steps to resolve them before they become larger and more critical
• The ability to make quick, realistic, practical decisions in urgent situations
• Experience determining methods and procedures to be implemented and used on the most complex new technologies to enhance performance
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to deliver presentations and convey technical and design strategies to different audiences
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to deal with stressful situations involving equipment and application failures in a composed and constructive manner
• Ability to take direction from more than one person and handle a variety of tasks at one time
• Dependable, accessible after hours in the event of a system failure, work as needed to maintain equipment in off-hours
Moderate Lifting (30-40 lbs.)
Willing to work some weekends if necessary