Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff of more than 12,000 people is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through on-going development.
Our scientific focus has resulted in 25 marketed products that are benefitting millions of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases.
Making a Difference on a Global Scale
The Executive Director Finance will lead a team of approximately 14 professionals (in multiple locations) with three (or more) direct reports driving financial planning and analysis, Global Supply Chain, Clinical and Commercial manufacturing efforts for the Pharmaceutical Development and Manufacturing organization (PDM). They will be the business partner to the SVP of Pharma & Biologics Operations, (PBO). This role will be a key partner to the PBO Leadership Team providing guidance on strategic, operational, and financial issues. This position reports to the head of PDM Finance. Success in this role will require the ability to cultivate an effective business partnership between the PDM areas and Finance. The ED will be viewed as the business partner that provides strategic direction and is seen as the “go to person” for business financial analysis, insight, and counsel. This person will be responsible for demonstrating strong communication, influencing and strategic thinking skills that will drive value to the PBO and PDM businesses.
- Lead the PBO organization annual operational forecasts, providing recommendations and business driven scenario analyses to global manufacturing & supply chain.
- Actively participate in Product development, commercialization, Life cycle management, and Business Development projects.
- Provide guidance and analysis to support global supply chain and PBO organizational strategies. This includes representing finance in cross functional reviews with PDM leadership, Tax, Controllership, Treasury and FP&A teams.
- Oversee the monthly and quarterly close process for your team, including managing the Inventory, management reporting, and budget vs. actual variance analysis. Report results to PDM, PBO and Finance executives
- Provides leadership to direct reports and builds a highly capable finance team through the attraction, training and development of the necessary skilled professionals to meet business needs.
- Contributes to an array of cross-disciplinary initiatives.
- Helps develop, maintain and assess internal controls related to Gilead’s accounting and financial reporting systems.
- Partner with Technical Accounting and the PDM Operations teams’ to analyze and influence complex contract proposals that may have manufacturing and cost implications.
- Monitor and develop insights from key business drivers including supply/demand, inventory & Gross Margin,
- Proactively recommend process improvements to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of our reporting and analysis
- Provide ad-hoc analyses and project support for the executive leadership team
- Provide managerial leadership and guidance to direct reports. Build a highly capable team through the attraction, training and development of professionals to meet business needs
- Selects, develops and evaluates senior personnel to ensure the efficient operations of their function
- Reviews and approves the assessment, development, and maintenance of Gilead’s FP&A tools and process.
- Regularly interacts with Gilead’s senior management on matters concerning several functional areas.
Capabilities and Requirements:
- BS or BA is required, and an MBA or CPA is strongly preferred
- Minimum of 16+ years of finance experience with increasing scope and responsibility, with a minimum of 10 years of management experience
- Prior experience in bio-tech or pharma &/or manufacturing/Supply Chain finance leadership role is strongly preferred
- In-depth proficiency in aspects of accounting and finance and knowledge of US GAAP is required
- Planning and ERP systems is required with proficiency in Microsoft tools
- Experience in high growth, multinational organization is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills: an inquisitive mind, and the ability to work effectively with multiple functions are required.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility with diverse audiences and be perceived as a leader is required
- Business Savvy and Financial Acumen: The candidate will possess technical knowledge on analytics, business foresight, and problem-solving skills.
- Results Orientation: The ideal candidate will be results-driven and must thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. They must have the ability to deliver results and possess a strong drive to meet and exceed goals and is willing to take ownership of problems and make sound decisions.
- Team Leadership: Demonstrates ability to align and motivate a team to achieve objectives including financial results, timely and accurate reporting, transparency, and controls. They will lead, attract, train & develop a team of highly capable skilled finance professionals to support the PDM business. Every employee deserves a great manager!
- Change Leadership: The candidate will be an independent self-starter and a proactive leader with a drive to strive for continuous improvement and consistently challenging the status quo. Will be viewed by business partners and Finance colleagues as a thought leader with strong, influencing capabilities, who can also maintain open and transparent communication channels.