INNOVATION, QUALITY, COLLABORATION, PERFORMANCE, COURAGE AND INTEGRITY
Over 900+ clinical trials validate that gene therapies are transforming the practice of medicine. As a Senior Scientist for AAV early pipeline process development, you will have an opportunity to join the NIBR Biologics Center (NBC) and be at the cutting edge, leading the development of innovative medicines that can improve lives of patients.
NBC builds the biologics pipeline in collaboration with NIBR Disease Areas and Platforms via a breadth of technologies for discovery of antibody, protein and gene therapy-based therapeutics. The Biotherapeutic Engineering and Gene Therapy (BEGT) group within NBC drives a diverse portfolio of modalities including therapeutic proteins, multi-specific antibodies, CAR-T, RNA therapeutics and rAAV. Through cell and viral engineering as well as innovative and rational protein design, the BEGT group is a global team that works collaboratively with disease area groups to broaden the use of biologics into therapeutic applications where conventional antibodies have limitations.
The Senior Scientist, AAV Vector Engineering, undertakes and leads efforts to develop more potent, safer and tolerable AAV vectors. The mechanisms in scope include, but are not limited to, reduction of immune response, spatial/temporal regulated expression control strategies, circuit engineering, transcriptional/post-transcriptional aspects and strategies for high throughput optimization of AAV vector genome components.
- Oversees/leads AAV platform, vector engineering programs and enables translation from in vitro/in vivo POC studies to therapeutic disease programs for preclinical development.
- Initiates, leads and contributes to interdisciplinary research programs in a highly collaborative and matrixed manner across internal groups and with external partners.
- Prepares reports, manuscripts and protocols, adhering to the good research practices and quality culture across NIBR.
- Presents results at appropriate internal and external meetings/conferences.
- Other relates duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in synthetic biology, gene therapy, bioinformatics, molecular/cell biology, bioengineering, or related scientific field with 8 years relevant experience or Master's with 6 or PHD with 4.
- Experience and familiarity with neuromuscular, cardiovascular, liver, and/or lung diseases are a plus.
- Demonstrated expertise in AAV genome engineering, genomics & epigenomics fields and databases, and nucleic acid technologies and tools, including, but not limited to, DNA library generation, high throughput screening, short/long-read and single cell-based next generation sequencing and characterization.
- Experiences in AAV biology, capsid engineering, transcriptional and post-transcriptional mechanisms, genetic/epigenomic/transcriptomic profiling technologies, genome engineering (e.g. CRISPR), nonviral gene therapy, sh/miRNA biology, and/or analytical/process development for AAV production are highly desired.
- Ability to work collaboratively across a dynamic and collaborative scientific and development environment.
- Adaptability to emerging project/group needs, excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong publication, patent and external presentation record is preferred.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate’s qualifications.