The United States Naval Academy Alumni Association and Foundation in Annapolis, MD is seeking a highly motivated, energetic, and detail-oriented person for the position of a full-time Human Resources Generalist.
This position is based in historic Annapolis at our current offices overlooking the Severn River on the beautiful grounds of the U.S. Naval Academy. In 2022, the staff of the Alumni Association and Foundation will move into new modern offices in a to-be-constructed Alumni Center, which is being built on the banks of College Creek overlooking the Naval Academy and downtown Annapolis.
The Human Resources Generalist will act as the first point of contact for all HR-related queries from employees and external partners. The Generalist will be responsible for directing the Enterprise’s staffing functions in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws; organization mission and policies; as well as business and human resources best practices. Additionally, the Generalist will strategically plan to assist the Enterprise with attracting and retaining the talent needed to meet organizational goals. The Generalist will have a secondary role in positioning the Enterprise as an employer of choice in the surrounding areas. This is a non-exempt level position and reports to the Senior Director, Human Resources of the Enterprise.
Maintenance of the Human Resources Department
- Support Enterprise’s employment function (recruitment, onboarding, performance management, compliance, etc.).
- Maintain personnel records in electronic and paper form.
- Ensure compliance with I-9 employment eligibility.
- Ensure compliance with all federal and state labor regulations.
- Assist in the development and implementation of HR policies and practices.
- Liaise with external partners, including vendors.
- Process monthly bills from vendors.
- Help organize training and development initiatives.
- Manage the recruiting process and recruiting records.
- Maintain and process all unemployment notices in a timely, efficient manner.
- Attend job fairs for recruitment purposes.
- Handle employee terminations to include COBRA administration.
- Handle onboarding of new hires.
- Prepare new hire guides and any other new hire material needed.
- Schedule new hire training.
- Initiate/manage background checks and drug tests.
- Administer benefits to include health, welfare and retirement plans companywide.
- Reconcile monthly billing.
- Assist employees with any benefits queries.
- Administer the day-to-day transactions of the 403(b) plan and processes employee loans.
- Lead annual open enrollment.
- Update Payroll Network/iSolved employee records.
- Lead efforts to expand use of Payroll Network/iSolved HR portal.
- Verify employee W-2 information and ACA information is accurate.
- Periodically audit the database to ensure accuracy.
- Answer employees queries about HR-related issues.
- Assist with employee relations.
- Update employee phone directory and organization chart.
- Assist with the implementation and tracking of company safety and health programs.
- Maintain and coordinate employee recognition programs.
- Evaluate employee needs for training Enterprise-wide.
- Host employee trainings (excel, power point, etc.).
- Follow up with employees for feedback. (ex: surveys).
- Assume other duties as assigned by the Senior HR Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, or related discipline, or equivalent in work experience.
- Certification or advanced training in Human Resources (PHR/SPHR preferred).
- 3-5 years of generalist experience, managing HR functions and related disciplines.
- Strong skills in recruiting.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook).
- Thorough knowledge of labor laws.
- Proficiency with various HRIS systems to improve decision making.
- Able to perform in a team-oriented environment.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize.