The United States Naval Academy Alumni Association and Foundation is seeking a highly motivated, energetic, and detail-oriented person for the position of a full-time Planned Giving Coordinator. This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team as planned giving plays an increasingly important role at the Foundation. Planned gifts (life income gifts, estate commitments, and realized bequests) accounted for 28% of the $535 million dollars raised in the Foundation’s recently completed campaign.
This position is based in historic Annapolis at our current offices located overlooking the Severn River on the beautiful grounds of the U.S. Naval Academy. In 2022, the staff of the Alumni Association and Foundation will move into new modern offices in a to-be-constructed Alumni Center, which is being built on the banks of College Creek overlooking the Naval Academy and downtown Annapolis.
The Coordinator is primarily responsible for the administration of planned gifts from inception through to maturation, including the administration of estate gifts. The Coordinator will assist the Director of Planned Giving in implementing marketing initiatives to inform and educate prospective donors, in preparing gift illustrations and proposals to solicit gifts, and in executing stewardship plans to acknowledge and recognize planned gift donors.
The position reports directly to the Director of Planned Giving at the U. S. Naval Academy Foundation. This is a non-exempt position. This position is based in Annapolis and is not eligible for full-time telecommuting.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for prospects seeking general planned giving information, and information about the Robert Means Thompson Society (RMTS).
- Record donor interactions in CRM and create Prospect Plans when appropriate.
- Prepare gift illustrations using PGM Anywhere software for teammates and accompanying correspondence to prospective donors to create complete gift proposals as necessary.
- Assist in planned giving cultivation and stewardship events including logistics, tracking, and all other administrative functions, including in person support.
- Upon acceptance of a planned gift, complete all steps for gift administration including submission to Gift Processing and preparing all paperwork for Treasury and planned gift administrator.
- Prepare and mail gift agreements, draft and finalize gift acknowledgments to donors.
- Maintain efficient donor file system to ensure that all paperwork for each gift is properly completed and filed.
- Report and track all pending planned gift proposals and new planned gifts, including bequests.
- Working with Gift Processing and IRA custodian companies, administer IRA charitable rollover gifts, researching them when necessary.
- Provide donor information such as updated address and contact information in CRM and to planned giving administrator on an ongoing basis.
- Work as needed with the planned giving administrator to disseminate investment reporting, tax advice notices, and federal/state compliance paperwork for disclosure to planned gift donors.
- Primarily responsible for estate administration. Document, track, and expedite settlement of estate gifts and bequests. Act as intermediary with executors, trustees and government offices, escrow offices, banks, brokers, insurance companies and others as needed to distribute estate gifts and to resolve issues in order to distribute funds.
- Primarily responsible for stewardship management of RMTS.
- Work with events and/or donor relations staff to plan and execute annual RMTS recognition events.
- Provide other regular stewardship opportunities for RMTS members such as birthday cards and gift anniversary notes.
- Communicate annually with RMTS members through the RMTS Annual Report, RTMS thank-a-thon and other means.
- Coordinate and implement annual planned giving marketing plan with Director.
- Identify target audiences for planned giving marketing appeals and prepare mail/email lists using database queries and exports.
General Office Administration
- Maintain CRM data and hard files for planned giving prospects and RMTS members.
- Track planned giving prospects and activity with Director.
- Assist with monitoring budget for planned giving team, including payment of invoices.
- Order supplies, provide “internal and external” customer relations and perform other administrative functions to maintain planned giving office efficiency.
- Read industry publications to expand planned giving and general development knowledge.
- Attend planned giving training as mutually determined with the Director of Planned Giving.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or related experience)
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong written correspondence and demonstrated professional verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data and other information.
- Service oriented.
- A sincere and enthusiastic belief in the mission of the U.S. Naval Academy.
- Paralegal experience, especially in estate law
- Knowledge of and proficiency with PGM Anywhere software
- 3-5 years development experience in a college/university setting
- Proficiency with Blackbaud’s CRM donor database/software.
- In-depth knowledge of, and efficiency in, producing database queries, exports and reports.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (letters, email and telephone communications).